Rotary started in Kalyan in 1955 & since then kept glooming & blooming with keeping upto the needs of the community all time. Founder Rtn. Babubhai P. Tanna who was Rotarian at Malegaon, brought the idea of Rotary to Kalyan. A meeting of some prominent citizens was arranged at Mahila Mandal Hall on 29th Oct. 1955, under the chairmanship of Rtn. N.J. Talim to discuss the publicity of Rotary Club. Rtn. Soli Pavri of Bombay Club gave the preliminary idea and guidance.
OnePast Dist. Governor Rtn. M.G. Monani welcomed the proposal and appointed Rtn. Soli Pavri as Special Representative. Shri. H. A. Khan then collector of Thane and past president of Rotary Club of Nashik kindly permitted the use of Borgaonkar Hall for our weekly meetings. The Rotary Club of Bombay Subarban West kindly agreed to prropose our Club and past president Rtn. P.G. Shah, past Secretary Rtn. R.Y. Apte, President Rtn. Banerjee and Secretary Rtn. D. M. Desai alongwith Rotarians of that club held an organisational meeting at Kalyan on 12th August 1956. Dist. Governor Rtn. Dr. Ram K. Bhandari presented the charter to the club on Sunday the 2nd December 1956 at Umrigar Hall, Kalyan when immediate Past Dist. Governor Rtn. M. G. Monani graced the occassion as Chief Guest. It was the first Club in Thane District. Dr. N.J. Shukla was the first Club in Thane District. Total founder member were 27. Our charter day is 24th October.